Thursday 8 December 2011

Marbles, marbles everywhere and lots of hot chocolate to drink.

I am, it has to be said, feeling a little smug with myself. I have gone from evening bath time battles to bubbly bliss, from playdoh terrorism to supernannyesque creative play sessions. 'How?' I hear you ask. Marbles. No, it isn't a code word for something more sinister, I actually mean marbles. I have taken bribery and corruption to a new level, and boy is it working.
 
The marbles, or 'money' as babybear1 refers to them as, are paid out for good behaviour and carrying out day to day tasks such as 'getting ready to go' and 'washing yourself in the bath'. He can then spend the marbles on everyday treats such as watching half an hour of TV or having a lovely, hot chocolate or he can save them for a bigger treats such as a new book or toy (to the value of £5). So far its working really well and its been over 3 weeks. It also seems to be great lesson in budgeting, Tanya Byron would be pleased, as he has begun to understand what £5 will buy you in The Entertainer, so far a tub of dinosaurs and a tub of wild animals at £4 a pop.
 
Some people may think that a constant rewarding is instilling the wrong values and I would perhaps agree for an older child. However, 3 year olds are selfish creatures, I present that as a fact not an insult. They work best when rewarded for good behaviour. I have to say there is a selfish element to this system too as it means I am not at constant war with my toddler and that to me is worth all the marbles in the world!
 
Well done Mama!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent idea Mamabear ! and one I happen to think you'll probably adapt to your growing child. My 16yr old daughter gets rewarded with being allowed out late - ish with her mates and parties....in return for household chores ! It works ! as if she hasn't pulled her weight she doesn't go out and of course I'm teaching valuable survival skills for when she leaves home ;) !!

    ReplyDelete